The office manager’s role in a medical practice is more important than you may think. The manager oversees patient flow and the daily operations of the medical office. This position requires knowledge and experience in many facets of medicine, business, and employee management. Medical practice managers need to be organized, attentive to details, and patient-oriented. A few days ago, I spoke to one of our clients who is an office manager at a private practice in New York City. As one of the most popular practices in midtown Manhattan, this office sees a tremendous volume of patients. Operational efficiency and excellent customer service are the two biggest pillars of her job.
She told me that her performance at job depends on the following:
- Making sure patient calls are answered in a timely and polite manner. This requires superior customer service skills and communicate with patients in a courteous and professional manner.
- Receiving messages and accurately conveying the information to the appropriate employee. She must transfer calls to physicians and clinical staff when medically indicated, and make sure all administrative queries are resolved by the office staff.
- Scheduling appointments and triaging patients to physician and clinical staff.
- Protecting patient confidentiality and keeping patient health records up to date.
- Overseeing billing, patient insurance eligibility, coding and collections, and reducing financial administrative burden on physicians.
Fundamentally, office managers are like filters for patient requests: they triage medical-related questions to the physicians while protecting them from an operational and administrative burden. A good office manager can be vital to preventing physician burnout.
How Klara has helped office managers?
One of our core focuses at Klara is to help medical teams to work together more effectively. Improving workflow processes for office managers is vital to this team dynamic because they handle the largest volume of patient requests to the practice. At Klara, we strive to improve all aspects of medical office administration, from insurance inquiries to appointment scheduling. Here’s what our clients had to say:
“Klara saves me about 2 hours per day. I spend less time on the phone. Whether it be talking on the phone about general patient questions, billing or leaving messages in regards to prescriptions, biopsies or prescriptions.”
- Patrice Weatle, Bergen Dermatology
“We are using Klara to help streamline our insurance verification and patient registration process. By having patients send us their insurance and registration information via Klara before they come into the office, we save about 5 minutes per patient. On top of that, patients can now get in touch with the office very easily, which reduces the number of calls we receive.”
- Melissa Cruz, Forest Hills Dermatology
“Patients love Klara because communication through it makes so much easier to get in touch with our staff. It saves time, eliminates the need to call the front desk and makes it much more personal.”
- Natasha Kim, Chelsea Eye & Cosmetic Surgery Associates
Klara provides medical practices the ability to strike a balance between patient-centered care and efficient workflow. This translates to happy patients and a more profitable business. No wonder the more the medical teams use Klara, the more they want to use it!
Klara is FREE to use with UNLIMITED number of Patients and Colleagues. What are you waiting for?